DATA PRIVACY NOTICE
Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”)
Who are we?
Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. is the data controller (contact details further down page). This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
Which data is collected?
The categories of pupil information that the school collects, holds and shares include the following:
- Personal information – e.g. names, pupil numbers and addresses
- Attendance information – e.g. number of lessons received
- Relevant medical information
Whilst the majority of the personal data you provide to the school is mandatory, some is provided on a voluntary basis. When collecting data, the school will inform you whether you are required to provide this data or if your consent is needed. Where consent is required, the school will provide you with specific and explicit information with regards to the reasons the data is being collected and how the data will be used.
How do we process your personal data?
- Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date;
- by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data;
- by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data. We use your personal data for the following purposes: – (examples shown below)
- To market and promote the interests of the organisation;
- To contact you in the event of a change to lesson time – e.g. short notice cancellation
- To manage our self employed contractors;
- To maintain our own accounts and records.
- To operate our online and social media presence.
- To inform individuals of news, events, activities or services running at through external forums.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
These fall under either article 6 or article 9 – dealt with separately below.
e.g. Article 6 processing
- Consent of the data subject; Wherever required, we will issue consent forms for the processing of general data.
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of a data subject or another person;
- Processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of the data controller or a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests, rights or freedoms of the data subject.
E.g. Article 9 Processing
- Explicit consent of the data subject
- Processing relates to personal data manifestly made public by the data subject;
- Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of EU or Member State law;
- Processing is necessary for the reasons of public interest in the area of public health;
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will be shared only with the relevant teacher.
We will only share your data with other third parties outside of the organisation with your consent.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary for a period of no longer than one year. In some instances we are legally required to keep personal data for longer – we will inform you in such cases.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption [under the GDPR], you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. holds about you;
- The right to request that Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. to retain such data;
- The right to request that Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. provide the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability), where applicable.
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data (where applicable).
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (contact details further down page).
- Transfer of Data Abroad If the personal data is to be transferred to countries or territories outside the EU you must include details of how the data will be protected, together with details of how to obtain copies of the relevant safeguards.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions.
Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing. Contact Details To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance, contact us at:
Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd.
Brick Lane Studios
7-9 Weir Street
Tel: 0141 328 6983
For more information, or if you have a concern about the way in which Diane Mitchell Music School Ltd. is collecting or storing your personal data, the information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) can be contacted at:
Tel: 0303 123 1113